Ben Seltzer, MD
The Seltzer-Maalouf Memorial Fund
Barrow Neurological Institute and our community recently lost two men who were dedicated to Alzheimer’s disease: Benjamin Seltzer, MD, and Marwan Maalouf, MD, PhD. Both contributed significantly to patient care, medical education, and research at Barrow.
Barrow Neurological Foundation has established the Seltzer-Maalouf Memorial Fund in memory of Drs. Seltzer and Maalouf. The fund will make awards to young physician-investigators who are pursuing new research projects. This financial support will enable these researchers to collect the data they need to pursue more permanent funding from outside sources.
For more information and to make a donation, please visit the Barrow Foundation website.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 2011-present: Clinical Professor of Neurology, University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix
- 2010-present: Director, Division of Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2010-present: Neurologist, Arizona Alzheimer’s Disease Consortium (NIH)
- 2010-present: Staff Neurologist, Saint Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix
- 2007-2010: Associate Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- 2006-2007: Lecturer on Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- 2006-2010: Associate Neurologist, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston
- 2006-2010: Chief, Memory Disorders Clinic, VA Boston Healthcare System
- 1988-2006: Professor of Neurology and Psychiatry, Tulane University School of Medicine
- 1988-2006: Adjunct Professor of Anatomy, Tulane University School of Medicine
- 1988-2006: Director, Division of Behavioral and Geriatric Neuropsychiatry, Tulane University Medical Center
- 1988-2006: Attending Neurologist, Tulane University Hospital and Clinic, New Orleans
- 1988-2006: Staff Neurologist, VA Medical Center, New Orleans
- 1988-2006: Attending Neurologist, Charity Hospital of Louisiana at New Orleans
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine (London)
- Society for Neuroscience
- International Society to Advance Alzheimer’s Research and Treatment
- Society for Behavioral and Cognitive Neurology
Selected Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Commendation for Excellence in Treating, Freshman Class, Harvard Medical School
- D. Byron Griffith Memorial Lecture, Tulane University School of Medicine
- Editor, Section on Organic Mental Disorders, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Third edition revised (DSM-III-R), American Psychiatric Association
- Feldman HH, Doody RS, Kivipelto M, Sparks DL, Waters DD, Jones RW, Schwam E, Schindler R, Hey-Hadavi J, DeMicco DA, Breazna A. Randomized controlled trial of atorvastatin in mild to moderate Alzheimer disease: LEADe. Neurology. Mar 23 2010;74(12):956-964.
- Kishnani PS, Sommer BR, Handen BL, Seltzer B, Capone GT, Spiridigliozzi GA, Heller JH, Richardson S, McRae T. The efficacy, safety, and tolerability of donepezil for the treatment of young adults with Down syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. Aug 2009;149A(8):1641-1654.
- Green RC, Schneider LS, Amato DA, Beelen AP, Wilcock G, Swabb EA, Zavitz KH. Effect of tarenflurbil on cognitive decline and activities of daily living in patients with mild Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. Dec 16 2009;302(23):2557-2564.
Seltzer B, Pandya DN. Posterior cingulate and retrosplenial cortex connections of the caudal superior temporal region in the rhesus monkey. Exp Brain Res. May 2009;195(2):325-34.
- Winblad B, Gauthier S, Scinto L, Feldman H, Wilcock GK, Truyen L, Mayorga AJ, Wang D, Brashear HR, Nye JS. Safety and efficacy of galantamine in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. Neurology. May 27 2008;70(22):2024-2035.
- van Dyck CH, Tariot PN, Meyers B, Malca Resnick E. A 24-week randomized, controlled trial of memantine in patients with moderate-to-severe Alzheimer disease. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. Apr-Jun 2007;21(2):136-143.
Is long-term treatment of Alzheimer's disease with cholinesterase inhibitor therapy justified?
Drugs Aging. 2007;24(11):881-890.
- Feldman HH, Schmitt FA, Olin JT. Activities of daily living in moderate-to-severe Alzheimer disease: an analysis of the treatment effects of memantine in patients receiving stable donepezil treatment. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. Oct-Dec 2006;20(4):263-268.
- Cola MG, Seltzer B, Preuss TM, Cusick CG. Neurochemical organization of chimpanzee inferior pulvinar complex. J Comp Neurol. Apr 11 2005;484(3):299-312.
Seltzer B, Zolnouni P, Nunez M, Goldman R, Kumar D, Ieni J, Richardson S. Efficacy of donepezil in early-stage Alzheimer disease: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Arch Neurol. Dec 2004;61(12):1852-1856.