Roy Patchell, MD
Roy Patchell, MD
Chairman, Division of Neurology
Dr. Patchell joined Barrow in 2009 as the Chairman of the Division of Neurology after leaving a faculty position at the University of Kentucky. He completed his neurology residency at Johns Hopkins University and a fellowship in neuro-oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. He is internationally recognized for his work in neuro-oncology, particularly in the management of metastatic brain tumors and the treatment of spinal cord compression caused by metastatic cancer. He has also been active in research concerning primary brain tumors.
Dr. Patchell was involved in the evaluation of neutron brachytherapy for high-grade gliomas. He also invented and patented an implantable, refillable, sustained-release device for delivering chemotherapy and other substances directly into primary brain tumors. This device is currently being evaluated in clinical trials using conventional chemotherapy as well as more novel anticancer agents.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 2009-present: Attending Physician, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center
- 2001-2009: Professor of Internal Medicine (Oncology Division), University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 2001-2009: Professor of Surgery (Neurosurgery Division), University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 2001-2009: Professor of Neurology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1991-2001: Associate Professor of Surgery (Neurosurgery), University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1991-2001: Associate Professor of Neurology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1985-2009, Chief of Neuro Oncology, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Markey Cancer Center, V.A. Medical Center
- 1985-1991: Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine (Oncology Division), University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1985-1991, Assistant Professor of Surgery (Neurosurgery Division), University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1985-1991: Assistant Professor of Neurology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1985-2009: Member, Lucille Parker Markey Cancer Center
- 1985-2009: Consultant, Cooper Drive Veterans Administration Hospital
- 1985-2009: Attending Physician, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center
- 1983-1985: Instructor in Neurology, The New York Hospital Cornell University Medical Center
- 1983-1985: Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Neuro-Oncology
- 1983-1985: Fellowship, New York Hospital Cornell, Neurology
- 1980-1983: Residency, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Neurology
- 1979-1980: Internship, University of Missouri Columbia School of Medicine, Internal Medicine
- 1975-1979: MD, University of Kentucky College of Medicine
- 1971-1975: BA, University of Kentucky, Philosophy
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- American Academy of Neurology (Fellow)
- Section on Neuro-Oncology, AAN
- American Neurological Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Cancer Education Committee (2003-2006)
- Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG)
- SWOG Brain Committee
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG)
- RTOG Brain Steering Committee
- Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO)
- NCI Cancer Treatment and Evaluation
- Program, Brain Tumor Strategy Committee
- Study Section Reviewer for NIH Special
- Site Reviewer for Columbia-Presbyterian Comprehensive Cancer Center Core Grant Application Site Reviewer for Ohio State University
- Site Reviewer for Columbia-Presbyterian Comprehensive Cancer Center Core Grant Application Study Section Reviewer for Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Operations Center Award
- NCI Brain Tumor Progress Review Group
- NCI Scientific Review Group Subcommittee G-Education
- Chairman NCI “Specialized Programs of Research Excellence (SPORE) in Brain Cancer”
- NCI Program Project “Stem Cells in Neuro-Oncology” University of Massachusetts
- Panelist and Invited Speaker, FDA Public Workshop on Brain Tumor Clinical Trial Endpoints
- Permanent Member, National Cancer Center (NCI) Clinical Trials COM Subcommittee
- British Columbia Health Research, Foundation, ad hoc reviewer of grants (Canada)
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2000-present: Honoree, The National Registry of “Who’s Who in America
- 2000-present: Honoree, America's Top Doctors for Cancer by Castle and Connolly
- 1998-present: Honoree, America's Top Doctors by Castle and Connolly
- 1998-present: Honoree, The Best Doctors in America
- 1996-present: Honoree, The Best Doctors in the Midwest
- 1975: Matchette Foundation Prize in Philosophy, University of Kentucky
- 1975: Oswald Creativity Prize in the Humanities, University of Kentucky
- 1974: Phi Beta Kappa
- Olson JJ, Paleologos NA, Gaspar LE, Robinson PD, Morris RE, Ammirati M, Andrews DW, Asher AL, Burri SH, Cobbs CS, Kondziolka D, Linskey ME, Loeffler JS, McDermott M, Mehta MP, Mikkelsen T, Patchell RA, Ryken TC, Kalkanis SN. The role of emerging and investigational therapies for metastatic brain tumors: a systematic review and evidence-based clinical practice guideline of selected topics. J Neurooncol. Jan 2010;96(1):115-142.
- Mehta MP, Paleologos NA, Mikkelsen T, Robinson PD, Ammirati M, Andrews DW, Asher AL, Burri SH, Cobbs CS, Gaspar LE, Kondziolka D, Linskey ME, Loeffler JS, McDermott M, Olson JJ, Patchell RA, Ryken TC, Kalkanis SN. The role of chemotherapy in the management of newly diagnosed brain metastases: a systematic review and evidence-based clinical practice guideline. J Neurooncol. Jan 2010;96(1):71-83.
- Mahmood U, Kwok Y, Regine WF, Patchell RA. Whole-brain irradiation for patients with brain metastases: still the standard of care. Lancet Oncol. Mar 2010;11(3):221-222; author reply 223.
- Mehta MP, Shapiro WR, Phan SC, Gervais R, Carrie C, Chabot P, Patchell RA, Glantz MJ, Recht L, Langer C, Sur RK, Roa WH, Mahe MA, Fortin A, Nieder C, Meyers CA, Smith JA, Miller RA, Renschler MF. Motexafin gadolinium combined with prompt whole brain radiotherapy prolongs time to neurologic progression in non-small-cell lung cancer patients with brain metastases: results of a phase III trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Mar 15 2009;73(4):1069-1076.
Patchell RA, Regine WF, Loeffler JS, Sawaya R, Andrews DW, Chin LS. Radiosurgery plus whole-brain radiation therapy for brain metastases. JAMA. Nov 1 2006;296(17):2089-2090; author reply 2090-2081.
Patchell RA, Tibbs PA, Regine WF, Payne R, Saris S, Kryscio RJ, Mohiuddin M, Young B. Direct decompressive surgical resection in the treatment of spinal cord compression caused by metastatic cancer: a randomised trial. Lancet. Aug 20-26 2005;366(9486):643-648.
- Regine WF, Rogozinska A, Kryscio RJ, Tibbs PA, Young AB, Patchell RA. Recursive partitioning analysis classifications I and II: applicability evaluated in a randomized trial for resected single brain metastases. Am J Clin Oncol. Oct 2004;27(5):505-509.
Patchell RA, Regine WF, Ashton P, Tibbs PA, Wilson D, Shappley D, Young B. A phase I trial of continuously infused intratumoral bleomycin for the treatment of recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. J Neurooncol. Oct 2002;60(1):37-42.
Patchell RA, Tibbs PA, Regine WF, Dempsey RJ, Mohiuddin M, Kryscio RJ, Markesbery WR, Foon KA, Young B. Postoperative radiotherapy in the treatment of single metastases to the brain: a randomized trial. JAMA. Nov 4 1998;280(17):1485-1489.
View complete list of publications on PubMed