Randall W. Porter, MD
Randall W. Porter, MD
Director, Interdisciplinary Skull Base Program
Co-Director, Acoustic Neuroma Center
Dr. Porter completed his CyberKnife training at the University of Pittsburgh. He trained in Gamma Knife at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden. Dr. Porter received his medical degree from Rush Medical College and completed a general surgery internship at Maricopa Medical Center in Phoenix. His neurosurgical residency was completed at Barrow Neurological Institute. In addition, Dr. Porter was a clinical and research fellow in cerebrovascular/skull base neurosurgery, Gamma Knife radiosurgery and complex spine surgery at Barrow. He is certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 1999-2000: Fellowship, Cerebrovascular and Skull Base, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 1994-2000: Residency, Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 1993-94: General Surgery Internship, Maricopa Medical Center
- 1993: MD, Rush Medical College, President, Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Society
- 1989: BA, Southern Methodist University, Economics, minor in Biology
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- Resident Member, American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Arizona Medical Association
- Associate, American Neurotology Society
- Arizona Neurosurgical Society
- Resident Member, Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- International Council of Motorsport Sciences
- Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves of the AANS/CNS
- Resident Member, Joint Section on Neurotrauma and Critical Care of the AANS/CNS
- Maricopa County Medical Society
- NRCC Physician’s Advisory Board
- North American Skull Base Society
- North American Spine Society
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2007-2008: Top Doctor, Phoenix Magazine
- 2006: Top Doctor, Banner Thunderbird Medical Center
- 2005: Teacher of the Year, Neurosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 1999: Best Poster, North American Skull Base Society
- 1995: Third place, Congress of Neurological Surgeons photography contest
- 1992-1993: President, Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- 1992: AMA Medical Student Section Award For Outstanding Membership Recruitment
- 1992: Chairman, The Daniel E. Welsh Memorial Lecture
- 1990: Dean's Summer Research Fellowship, Rush Medical College
- Safavi-Abbasi S, Bambakidis NC, Zabramski JM, Workman R, Verma K, Senoglu M, Porter RW, Spetzler RF. Nonvestibular schwannomas: an evaluation of functional outcome after radiosurgical and microsurgical management. Acta Neurochir (Wien). Jan 2010;152(1):35-46.
- Killory BD, Kresl JJ, Wait SD, Ponce FA, Porter R, White WL. Hypofractionated CyberKnife radiosurgery for perichiasmatic pituitary adenomas: early results. Neurosurgery. Feb 2009;64(2 Suppl):A19-25.
- Chang SW, Wu A, Gore P, Beres E, Porter RW, Preul MC, Spetzler RF, Bambakidis NC.. Quantitative comparison of Kawase's approach versus the retrosigmoid approach: implications for tumors involving both middle and posterior fossae. Neurosurgery. Mar 2009;64(3 Suppl):44-51; discussion 51-42.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Spetzler RF, Horn EM, Porter RW, Beals SP, Lettieri SC, Joganic EF, Demonte F. Proposed classification for the transbasal approach and its modifications. Skull Base. Jan 2008;18(1):29-47.
- Bambakidis NC, Kakarla UK, Kim LJ, Nakaji P, Porter RW, Daspit CP, Spetzler RF. Evolution of surgical approaches in the treatment of petroclival meningiomas: a retrospective review. Neurosurgery. Jun 2008;62(6 Suppl 3):1182-1191.
- Lekovic GP, Gonzalez LF, Shetter AG, Porter RW, Smith KA, Brachman D, Spetzler RF. Role of Gamma Knife surgery in the management of pineal region tumors. Neurosurg Focus. 2007;23(6):E12.
- Wanebo JE, Bristol RE, Porter RW, Coons SW, Spetzler RF. Management of cranial base chondrosarcomas. Neurosurgery. Feb 2006;58(2):249-255; discussion 249-255.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Han PP, Spetzler RF, Porter RW, Klopfenstein JD, Ferreira MA, Beals SP, Joganic EF. Exposure of midline cranial base without a facial incision through a combined craniofacial-transfacial procedure. Neurosurgery. Jan 2005;56(1 Suppl):28-35; discussion 28-35.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Han PP, Spetzler RF, Horn EM, Klopfenstein JD, Porter RW, Ferreira MA, Beals SP, Lettieri SC, Joganic EF. The radical transbasal approach for resection of anterior and midline skull base lesions. J Neurosurg. Sep 2005;103(3):485-490.
- Feiz-Erfan I, Han PP, Spetzler RF, Horn EM, Klopfenstein JD, Kim LJ, Porter RW, Beals SP, Lettieri SC, Joganic EF. Preserving olfactory function in anterior craniofacial surgery through cribriform plate osteotomy applied in selected patients. Neurosurgery. Jul 2005;57(1 Suppl):86-93; discussion 86-93.
View complete list of publications on PubMed