Vladimir Shvarts, MD
Director, Barrow Intraoperative Monitoring Program
Assistant Professor, Neurology
Dr. Vladimir Shvarts graduated from Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science and completed his residency in neurology at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. He did his postgraduate training in clinical neurophysiology and intraoperative monitoring at the University of California - Los Angeles. Subsequently, Dr. Shvarts completed his second fellowship with emphasis in epilepsy and magnetoencephalography at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan.
Dr. Shvarts is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Epilepsy Society, and American Clinical Neurophysiology Society.
His research interests include clinical epilepsy, intraoperative neurophysiology, magnetoencephalography, and global issues in epilepsy and neurological care.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 2013-present: Director, Barrow Intraoperative Monitoring Program
- 2013-present: Assistant Professor of Neurology, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2009-2012: Visiting Scholar, University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA), Intraoperative Monitoring and Interpretation
- 2011-2012: Fellowship, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Clinical Neurophysiology, Epilepsy, and Magnetoencephalography
- 2011-2012: Fellowship, UCLA, Clinical Neurophysiology and Intraoperative Monitoring
- 2007-2010: Residency, Henry Ford Hospital, Neurology
- 2005-2006: Internship, McGaw Northwestern University School of Medicine, Evanston, Illinois, Internal Medicine
- 2001-2005: MD, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, Illinois
- 2001-2002: Yoga Instructor, Chicago Medical School
- 2000-2001: Laboratory Technician, Los Angeles County Molecular Laboratories
- 1996-2000: BA, Occidental College, Los Angeles, Kinesiology, cum laude
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)
- Diplomate, ABPN Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Medical Association
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2010: Resident Scholarship, American Academy of Neurology's (AAN) 2010 Annual Meeting
- Dean’s List, Occidental College
Shvarts V, Chung S. Perampanel: newly approved, novel antiepileptic medication for partial-onset seizures. Expert Rev Neurother. Feb 2013;13(2):131-134.
- Bowyer SM, Shvarts V, Moran JE, Mason KM, Barkley GL, Tepley N. Slow brain activity (ISA/DC) detected by MEG. J Clin Neurophysiol. Aug 2012;29(4):320-326.