George P. Prigatano, PhD, ABPP-Cn
Newsome Chair, Department of Clinical Neuropsychology
Dr. Prigatano obtained his PhD in Clinical Psychology from Bowling Green State University and worked as a visiting scholar at Stanford University. He is certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology in Clinical Neuropsychology.
In 1998 Dr. Prigatano served as the President of the National Academy of Neuropsychology. Dr. Prigatano has published numerous articles and has written and/or edited four books in clinical neuropsychology. He is particularly interested in the problem of impaired self-awareness or anosognosia after brain injury and in developing appropriate approaches to the psychotherapeutic treatment of brain dysfunctional patients and their family members.
Dr. Prigatano has received a number of awards for his work:
- Named the Anthony M. Solomon Lecturer, Rusk Rehabilitation Institute, NYU Medical Center, 2008.
- Named the first Mitchell Rosenthal Memorial Lecturer for Division 22 of the American Psychological Association, 2008.
- Named the Luria Lecturer, University of Konstanz and Kliniken Schmeider Konstanz, 2005.
- Served as Congress President of the Academy of Multidisciplinary Neurotrauamtology held at the BNI in 2004.
- Received the Jim Thorpe Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation Services and Research, 2003.
- Named Distinguished Lecturer of the Year, 2003, by the Swedish Neuropsychological Society.
- Obtained the Distinguished Neuropsychologist Award, National Academy of Neuropsychology, 2001.
- Presented the William F. Caveness Award by the National Head Injury Foundation for his contributions to the rehabilitation of brain-injured patients, 1990.
- Developed the BNI Screen for Higher Cerebral Functions for adults, which has now been translated into 8 languages. He has also developed the BNI Screen for Higher Cerebral Functions in School-Age Children.
- Served as the President of the National Academy of Neuropsychology in 1998.
- First Leonard Diller Lecturer, American Psychological Association, 1998.
Neuropsychology Team | Epilepsy Team | Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus Team | Hypthothalamic Hamartoma Team
Pituitary Team | B.R.A.I.N.S. Team | Basic Research Laboratories | Contact Us