F. David Barranco, MD
Associate Medical Director, Surgical Neuroendocrine Section
Dr. Barranco received his Bachelor of Arts degree with honors from Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts. He received his Doctorate of Medicine with highest honors from the University of Southern California School of Medicine. Afterward, he completed both a general surgery internship and neurosurgical residency at the University of Pennsylvania, where he also served as a research fellow.
Before joining Barrow, Dr. Barranco served as the Chief of Neurosurgery and the Chairman of the Division of Neurosciences at Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix. He has practiced neurosurgery in Phoenix since 1989.
Dr. David Barranco's clinical areas of surgical expertise include brain and spinal tumors; spinal surgery including herniated cervical, thoracic, and lumbar disks; pituitary tumors; and peripheral nerve procedures. Dr. Barranco uses microsurgical and stereotactic techniques in his general neurosurgical practice.
Dr. Barranco trained in CyberKnife radiosurgery at the University of Southern California and received Gamma Knife radiosurgery training at the University of Pittsburgh. He is certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 2012-present: Assistant Professor, Creighton University School of Medicine, Department of Neurology
- 2006-present: Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Arizona School of Medicine, Neurological Surgery
- 2000-present: Attending Neurosurgeon, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2000-present: Associate Professor, Barrow Neurological Institute, Department of Neurological Surgery
- 1993-1999: Chairman, Good Samaritan Hospital, Division of Neurosciences, Phoenix
- 1984-1989: Residency, University of Pennsylvania Hospital, Neurosurgery
- 1983-1984: Internship, University of Pennsylvania Hospital, General Surgery
- 1983: MD, University of Southern California School of Medicine
- 1979: BA, Williams College, cum laude
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Arizona Medical Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society
Selected Honors and Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Upjohn Achievement Award for Academic Excellence
- Merck Manual Award of Outstanding Academic Excellence