One of the goals of the Barrow Epilepsy Center is to improve treatments for epilepsy. Barrow Neurological Institute participates in ongoing clinical research studies that include evaluation of the following issues:
- How quickly patients recover from seizures?
- How much patients are aware of seizures?
- The patterns of seizure spread electrically through the brain.
- The effect of seizures in children on learning and school and family functions.
- Analysis of how many seizures are required to determine their origin in the brain.
- The best way to localize speech and memory in the brain before surgery.
- The development of new anticonvulsant medications and several other clinical projects.
The Barrow Neurological Institute has the following Epilepsy Research Laboratories: