Adrienne C. Scheck, PhD
Adrienne C. Scheck, PhD
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 2011-present: Associate Investigator, Cancer Biology Program, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona
- 2006-2008: Director, Solid Tumor and infectious Disease Sections, DNA Diagnostic Laboratories, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
- 2001-2006: Chief, Solid Tumor Section, DNA Diagnostic Laboratories, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
- 1999-2006: Chief, Infectious Disease Section, DNA Diagnostic Laboratories, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center
- 1989-present: Principal Investigator, Neuro-Oncology Research, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 1990-present: Director, Scientific Enrichment Program for Students, Neuro-Oncology Research, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 1986-1989: Research Associate, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York
- 1981-1986: Teaching Assistant, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania
- 1981-1986: Postdoctoral Fellow, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania
- 1980: PhD, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Biology, Troy, New York
- 1976-1980: Teaching Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
- 1976: BA, University of Rochester, Biology, Rochester, New York
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Society for Neuro-Oncology
- Education Committee, American Association for Cancer Research
- Member American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Women in Cancer Research
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Association for Molecular Pathology
- Selection Committee, Flinn Scholars Program
- Arizona Rhodes Scholarship
- Arizona State University SOLUR Program
- Reviewer: Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, Genes Chromosomes and Cancer, Journal of Neuro-Oncology, Cancer, BMC Cell Proliferation, Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, Acta Neuropathologica, Brain Pathology, Journal of Neuroscience Research, Public Library of Science One (PloS One), Biotechniques
- Editorial Board Member: Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, CNS Oncology, World Journal of Surgical, Medical, and Radiation Oncology, Intracranial Meningiomas-A Critical Review, Frontiers in Bioscience
- Grant Reviewer: Pathology C Study Section, National Cancer Institute, NIH, American Cancer Society, Advisory Committee for Cell Biology, Susan B. Komen Foundation, Auckland Medical Research Foundation, Paracelsus Private Medical University
Selected Honors and Awards
- 2013: 50 Most Influential Women in Arizona Business, Arizona Business Magazine
- 2009-2014: NIH SEPA Award, Pathways to Medical Discovery for Families, Students, and Teachers
- 1998: Researcher and Scientist of the Year, YWCA Tribute to Women
- Hughes AK, Cichacz Z, Scheck A, Coons SW, Johnston SA, Stafford P. Immunosignaturing can detect products from molecular markers in brain cancer. PloS one. 2012;7(7):e40201.
- Abdelwahab MG, Fenton KE, Preul MC, Rho JM, Lynch A, Stafford P, Scheck AC. The ketogenic diet is an effective adjuvant to radiation therapy for the treatment of malignant glioma. PloS one. 2012;7(5):e36197.
- Renfrow JJ, Scheck AC, Dhawan NS, Lukac PJ, Vogel H, Chandler JP, Raizer JJ, Harsh GR, Chakravarti A, Bredel M. Gene-protein correlation in single cells. Neuro-oncology. Aug 2011;13(8):880-885.
- Abdelwahab MG, Sankar T, Preul MC, Scheck AC. Intracranial implantation with subsequent 3D in vivo bioluminescent imaging of murine gliomas. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. 2011(57):e3403.
- Stafford P, Abdelwahab MG, Kim do Y, Preul MC, Rho JM, Scheck AC. The ketogenic diet reverses gene expression patterns and reduces reactive oxygen species levels when used as an adjuvant therapy for glioma. Nutrition & metabolism. 2010;7:74.
- Smith R, Smith KA, Biggs CA, Scheck AC. In vitro biological dosimeter modeling of the glioblastoma response to radiation delivered by the Gamma Knife. Laboratory investigation. Journal of neurosurgery. Dec 2010;113 Suppl:222-227.
Scheck AC, Hendricks W. Molecular biological determinants of meningioma progression and aggressive behavior. Frontiers in bioscience. 2009;1:390-414.
- Smith KA, Ashby LS, Gonzalez LF, Brachman DG, Thomas T, Coons SW, Battaglia M, Scheck A. Prospective trial of gross-total resection with Gliadel wafers followed by early postoperative Gamma Knife radiosurgery and conformal fractionated radiotherapy as the initial treatment for patients with radiographically suspected, newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme. Journal of neurosurgery. Dec 2008;109 Suppl:106-117.
Scheck AC, Perry K, Hank NC, Clark WD. Anticancer activity of extracts derived from the mature roots of Scutellaria baicalensis on human malignant brain tumor cells. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 2006;6:27.
- Hank NC, Shapiro JR, Scheck AC. Over-representation of specific regions of chromosome 22 in cells from human glioma correlate with resistance to 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea. BMC cancer. 2006;6:2.