Shafeeq S. Ladha, MD
Shafeeq S. Ladha, MD
Director, Gregory W. Fulton ALS and Neuromuscular Disease Center
Ira and Mary Lou Fulton Chair in Motor Neuron Diseases
Director, Barrow EMG Laboratory
Dr. Ladha received his medical degree from the University of Arizona College of Medicine in Tucson, Arizona in 2000. He subsequently completed his neurology residency at Barrow Neurological Institute, where he was a chief resident in his final year. His experience treating patients with neuromuscular disorders during these years prompted him to seek subspecialty training in neuromuscular medicine.
He completed a fellowship in neuromuscular disorders and peripheral nerve diseases at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in 2005. During this time he also became proficient at analyzing and interpreting nerve biopsies. In 2006, he completed another fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona in clinical neurophysiology and electromyography, where he learned common and specialized neurophysiologic techniques such as single fiber EMG and repetitive nerve stimulation.
Dr. Ladha returned to Barrow in 2007 as the director of the Barrow MDA Clinic and eventually opened the AANEM-accredited Barrow EMG laboratory. He holds faculty positions at both the University of Arizona College of Medicine and Creighton University.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- 2012-present: Director, Gregory W. Fulton ALS and Neuromuscular Disease Center, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2008-Present: Director, Electromyography Laboratory, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2007-Present: Director, MDA and ALS Center, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2007-Present: Neurologist, Barrow Neurological Institute
- 2006-2007: Neurologist, Neuromuscular Research Center
- 2005-2006: Fellowship, Mayo Clinic (Rochester), Neuromuscular Disorders and Peripheral Nerve Diseases
- 2004-2005: Fellowship, Mayo Clinic (Scottsdale), Clinical Neurophysiology and Electromyography
- 2001-2004: Residency, Barrow Neurological Institute, Neurology
- 2000-2001: Internship
- 1996-2000: MD, University of Arizona College of Medicine
- 1992-1996: BS, University of Notre Dame
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow Member, American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- ALS Research Group
- Northeast ALS Consortium
- Peripheral Nerve Society
- Sun F, Ladha SS, Yang L, Liu Q, Shi SX, Su N, Bomprezzi R, Shi FD. Interleukin-10 producing-B cells and their association with responsiveness to rituximab in myasthenia gravis. Muscle Nerve. Jul 19 2013.
- Quinn C, Macklin EA, Atassi N, Bowser R, Boylan K, Cudkowicz M, Fournier C, Ladha SS, Lacomis D, Berry J. Post-lumbar puncture headache is reduced with use of atraumatic needles in ALS. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. Dec 2013;14(7-8):632-634.
- Krishna VR, Knievel K, Ladha S, Sivakumar K. Lower extremity predominant stiff-person syndrome and limbic encephalitis with amphiphysin antibodies in breast cancer. J Clin Neuromuscul Dis. Dec 2012;14(2):72-74.
Ladha S, Coons S, Johnsen S, Sambuughin N, Bien-Wilner R, Sivakumar K. Histopathologic progression and a novel mutation in a child with nemaline myopathy. J Child Neurol. Jul 2008;23(7):813-817.
- Garces-Sanchez M, Dyck PJ, Kyle RA, Zeldenrust S, Wu Y, Ladha SS, Klein CJ. Antibodies to myelin-associated glycoprotein (anti-Mag) in IgM amyloidosis may influence expression of neuropathy in rare patients. Muscle Nerve. Apr 2008;37(4):490-495.
Ladha SS, Whitaker MD, Bosch EP. Oncogenic osteomalacia: muscular weakness and multiple fractures. Neurology. Jul 25 2006;67(2):364-365.
Ladha SS, Spinner RJ, Suarez GA, Amrami KK, Dyck PJ. Neoplastic lumbosacral radiculoplexopathy in prostate cancer by direct perineural spread: an unusual entity. Muscle Nerve. Nov 2006;34(5):659-665.
Ladha SS, Dyck PJ, Spinner RJ, Perez DG, Zeldenrust SR, Amrami KK, Solomon A, Klein CJ. Isolated amyloidosis presenting with lumbosacral radiculoplexopathy: description of two cases and pathogenic review. J Peripher Nerv Syst. Dec 2006;11(4):346-352.
Ladha SS, Walker R, Shill HA. Case of neuroleptic malignant-like syndrome precipitated by abrupt fava bean discontinuance. Mov Disord. May 2005;20(5):630-631.
Ladha SS, Dyck PJ. Vasculitic neuropathy. J Clin Neuromuscul Dis. Sep 2005;7(1):50-53.